Alaska World Affairs Council (AKWorld)
Job Title: CEO
- Implements the Strategic Plan and goals of AKWorld
- Provides innovative direction and leadership for the organization towards achieving its mission, philosophy, policy and annual objectives.
- Coordinates with the Board of Directors and the Board Committees of AKWorld to assist with their objectives in accordance with the governance structure and policy of the organization.
Reports to: Chair of the Board of Directors
Job Location: Anchorage, Alaska
- Programs: Plans, designs, organizes, markets and promotes the programs and services provided by AKWorld. In particular, the CEO shall:
- Develop program themes and goals in consultation with the Program Committee.
- Select speakers pursuant to such goals and with a view to impartiality and the non-partisan, inclusive nature of the organization
- Correspond and liaise with potential speakers to obtain speaking engagements and/or special programming
- Introduce speakers and other guests to audience, and participate as moderator for panel or other group discussions.
- Coordinate special program needs such as special signage or receptions for special guests
- Negotiate contracts with any venues used for AKWorld’s programs
- Arrange for online arrangements when programs are broadcast on the internet
- Advertise programs through appropriate channels such as social media
- Arrange and schedule media interviews
- Arrange sightseeing for speakers by coordinating with Board members and AKWorld’s committees
Administration: Supports the operation and administration of the Board and the organization. In particular, the CEO shall:
- Advise and inform Board members of the operation of the organization
- Submit to the Board at regular Board meetings the CEO’s report setting out events and actions carried out by the office of AKWorld, and making proposals for discussion on outstanding issues that require Board approval and/or information
- Act as the interface between the Board and the organization’s staff and volunteers
- Liaise with the organization’s committees and maintain close contact with such committees’ chairs to ensure completion of tasks set for such committees
- Finances: Works closely with AKWorld’s treasurer to prudently manage the organization’s resources. In particular, the CEO shall:
- Liaise with AKWorld’s treasurer and various Committees to develop and recommend to the Board AKWorld’s annual budget
- Manage and expend AKWorld’s resources within the framework of the Budget approved by the Board
- Human Resources Management: Manages and mentors the organization’s staff and volunteers in accordance with AKWorld’s policies and procedures. All communications between Board members and staff shall be through the CEO.
- Community & Public Relations: Presents a ‘face for the organization’ at community and online events and to AKWorld members. Responsible for building and strengthening relationships with diverse stakeholders, both in Alaska and outside. In particular, the CEO shall:
- Network with organizations regularly and for specific joint programs
- Participate in international and local events
- Have an active presence at National Office activities including on committees and participation in national conference
- Maintain close contact with the Consular Corps
- Maintain close contact with the congressional and Governor’s offices to keep apprised of international visitors and potential opportunities for speakers
- Network with the school district as part of maintaining and developing the student programs
- Maintain an appropriate online and social media presence for the organization and where possible optimize AKWorld in search engine results.
- Develop a fundraising strategy for AKWorld and present this strategy to the Board, including through memberships, individual, director and corporate donations, government and foundation support, etc.
- Lead, support, coordinate and implement fundraising efforts as determined by the Board.
- Leverages personal and professional networks for fundraising opportunities.
The ideal candidate is one who can both advance a mission and vision while ensuring organizational sustainability. The person should ensure that the organization’s values, culture, business goals, and financial practices are aligned to support behavior consistent with organizational values. With a global mindedness and a passion for world affairs and deep knowledge of Alaska, the ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience as a strategic, and hard-working leader in the non-profit world, as an effective fundraiser with experience across various fund development tools and strategies. Having significant experience as a leader of people and/or a nonprofit would be a plus.
The ideal CEO candidate is an Alaska-based leader who possesses some of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- A passion for the AKWorld mission to advance international understanding and engagement.
- A strategic leader with the ability to prioritize, articulate, and align stakeholders around strategic goals.
- A proven fundraiser with a track record of identifying and securing new sources of funding.
- A relationship builder with the ability to connect with varied and diverse stakeholders across Alaska, including foreign dignitaries and ambassadors, Alaska Native groups, military and government leaders, students and educators, local volunteers, etc.
- An effective spokesperson with outstanding communication skills, including experience representing an organization through public speaking, moderating panel discussions and other externally-facing activities.
- An adept technology user, who is comfortable with video conferencing (Zoom), filing systems (Google drive), databases, social media and other software programs (Microsoft)
- A financially astute leader with a proven ability to oversee budgets and manage resources in a fiscally responsible manner.
- A culturally competent leader with an active commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and the ability to work with diverse populations.
- A global mindedness and awareness of current world affairs, preferably with lived or professional international experiences.
- 3+ years of leadership experience managing the staff and resources of a small organization.
- Bachelor’s degree; master’s degree in international relations, management or related field.
Compensation and How to Apply
The annual total compensation (salary and benefits) for this full-time CEO role is in the $70,000-120,000 range, commensurate with experience and qualifications. AKWorld will consider candidates, who would prefer to work at less than full-time, and the mix of salary and benefits for the role are negotiable.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis, until a hire has been made. AKWorld is an equal opportunity employer and proudly values diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
For more information, or to submit your resume and cover letter for consideration, please email:
Stefan Saldanha (email@example.com)
or Jim Cantor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
All inquiries and materials received will remain confidential.