Available Student Opportunities:
- K-12 Student qualify for FREE membership with AKWorld including discounted admission for evening programs and publication discounts. Contact us to join as a K-12 student!
- Complimentary admission at luncheon programs with fascinating speakers
- Annual WorldQuest Competition
- Internship through ASD Gifted Mentorship program
- Flexible and meaningful volunteer opportunities
- Speaker in-school visits hosted by teachers. Additional information available here.
- World Affairs Councils of America National Conference Scholarship
Complimentary Student Admission at Luncheons
Thanks to a generous sponsorship from BP, individual students can attend Alaska World Affairs luncheon programs for free, gaining exposure to speakers addressing a variety of important subjects. Please be sure to RSVP to rsvp@
High school teachers that would like to bring a class or student group to an Alaska World Affairs Council luncheon program should submit a request via the online form. Questions can be directed to Deputy Director, Alyssa Bish.
Speaker School Visits
Featured speakers of the Council often participate in visits to local high schools to speak to students. Thanks to the generous support of ConocoPhillips Alaska, the Alaska World Affairs Council regularly brings world-class speakers to speak to Anchorage high school students at no cost to the schools. Speakers usually construct a presentation unique to students, highlighting not only their topic, but also their life experience and words of wisdom. This is a great opportunity for students to hear from a variety of experts without leaving their schools.
Teachers and schools interested in connecting with us about arranging an in-school speaker visit should make a request via the online form. Questions should be directed to Program Coordinator, Kari Gardey.
Volunteering, Internships and Job Opportunities
The Alaska World Affairs Council is committed to supporting, inspiring, educating and mentoring students in every way possible. The Alaska World Affairs Council is proud to have received a 2007 Outstanding Partnership Award of Excellence for our school/business partnership with the Anchorage School District.
We regularly work with high school and college students to create tailored volunteer experiences. To learn about volunteering, click here.
Internship and employment opportunities will be listed on our “Opportunities” page, when available.Become a Member Now