Date(s) - Thursday, February 8, 2018
5:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Add this event to my Google Calendar
Dena'ina Civic and Convention Center
Academic WorldQuest is a team competition testing students’ knowledge of global issues in the following categories:
- Current Events
- ASEAN at 50
- India’s Bid for Global Power
- Combatting Climate Change
- Saudi Arabia
- Great Decisions
- The Peacebuilding Toolkit
- America’s Diplomats
The Alaska competition on Thursday, February 8th brings together over 120 high school students from around Alaska to test their knowledge of global affairs. Over 40 local World Affairs Councils host the competition across the country. The winning team from each local competition is invited to participate in the National Competition hosted in Washington, D.C. each April.
What is WorldQuest?
One of the greatest challenges facing our nation and our schools across the country is preparing our youth for the globally interconnected world of the 21st century. America’s ability to face the economic and security challenges of the 21st century and seize new opportunities is dependent on an educated and informed citizenry and workforce. Academic WorldQuest is a unique opportunity to expose our youth to the world outside our borders and prepare them for these challenges and opportunities.
Local Competition Details:
- Teachers and Students must submit an online application by Friday, January 19th, 2018 to be eligible to participate.
- Teachers and Students are strongly encouraged to download and review the Student Study Guide and the Participant Guide. Questions about student participation should be directed to Program Coordinator, Kari Gardey.
- Community organizations and individuals are encouraged to support participating students by making a donation and/or attending the competition. Donation and registration options for adults are available below.
- Space permitting, adults may be able to unofficially participate in the competition room with the students (adults are not eligible to enter as an official team nor win prizes). A separate room will be available for adults to view the live-streamed competition while enjoying food and beverages.
- Check-in begins at 5:00pm with a reception from 5:30pm and the competition start at 6:30pm.
Support over 120 globally-minded Alaskan youth through WorldQuest sponsorship!
Contact Deputy Director, Alyssa Bish at firstname.lastname@example.org about sponsorship opportunities for this competition.