Date(s) - Friday, March 30, 2018
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Add this event to my Google Calendar
49th State Brewing Company
Speaker – Ambassador Steven Pifer
AT A GLANCE:
- Senior Fellow with the Brookings Institution
- Former US Ambassador to Ukraine
- Author of The Eagle and the Trident: U.S.-Ukraine Relations in Turbulent Times and co-author of The Opportunity: Next Steps in Reducing Nuclear Arms
- Served as Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Russia, Ukraine and Eurasia on the National Security Council
Steven Pifer is a senior fellow with the Brookings Institution. His work focuses on arms control, Ukraine and Russia. He is author of The Eagle and the Trident: U.S.-Ukraine Relations in Turbulent Times and co-author of The Opportunity: Next Steps in Reducing Nuclear Arms. A retired Foreign Service officer, his more than 25 years with the State Department included assignments as deputy assistant secretary of state with responsibilities for Russia and Ukraine, U.S. ambassador to Ukraine, and special assistant to the president and senior director for Russia, Ukraine and Eurasia on the National Security Council. He also served in Warsaw, Geneva, Moscow and London.
The Eagle and the Trident provides the first comprehensive account of the development of U.S. diplomatic relations with an independent Ukraine, covering the years 1992 through 2004 following the collapse of the Soviet Union. The United States devoted greater attention to Ukraine than any other post-Soviet state (except Russia) after the breakup of the Soviet Union. Steven Pifer, a career Foreign Service officer, worked on U.S.-Ukraine relations at the State Department and the White House during that period and also served as ambassador to Ukraine. With this volume he has written the definitive narrative of the ups and downs in the relationship between Washington and newly independent Ukraine. (Read more…)
DOORS & DETAILS
- Lunch at this program will be available for individual order and purchase from 49th State Brewing Co.
- Doors will open at 11:30am and the program will begin at noon.
- Online registration closes Wednesday, March 28th at midnight. Remaining spaces will be sold at the door.
- A Bev Power Memorial Program honoring the legacy of Beverly Power, a long-time leader in the Alaska World Affairs Council, donating untold hours and serving as President in 1968. (Read more about Bev Power.)
- High school and college students who register in advance receive complimentary admission and a voucher for a lunch item of their choosing thanks to the generous support of BP. Online pre-registration and presentation of a valid student ID at check-in is required to qualify.
- Teachers who would like to bring a group of students to this program must submit a request via the online form here at least one week in advance to inquire about availability. Questions should be directed to Deputy Director, Alyssa Bish.
Active-duty military personnel and their spouses who register in advance receive complimentary admission thanks to generous support from USO Alaska. Online pre-registration and presentation of a valid military ID at check-in is required to qualify.