Date(s) - Wednesday, February 28, 2018
10:00 am - 1:30 pm
Add this event to my Google Calendar
The Alaska World Affairs Council and the Anchorage School District (ASD) have teamed up to offer a jump start to high school students considering international options in their postsecondary journeys.
This event will include:
- Opening remarks by ASD Superintendent, Dr. Deena Bishop.
- An informational presentation by the Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education guiding students through tools for identifying careers that connect with their interests and ways to fund their postsecondary learning.
- Small-group sessions with mentors from a wide spectrum of industries with international scope.
- Free-form networking with mentors and representatives from relevant organizations sharing resources for further discovery.
- Lunch from Wild Fork Catering.
Participating students will walk away with the information needed to dive into their postsecondary planning with real-life insights and advice from the people who have stood in their shoes.
Participating Mentors include: (more to be added as confirmed)
- Tanya Bratslavsky, Principal Engineer at BCE, Inc.
- Larry Cash, CEO at RIM Architects
- LaQuita Chmielowski, Principal, Land Planning & Civil Engineering Manager at Enterprise Engineering
- Julie Decker, Director/CEO at the Anchorage Museum
- Robert Doehl, Deputy Commission of the Alaska Department of Military & Veteran Affairs
- Thomas Doolittle, Deputy Assistant Regional Director of the Office of Subsistence Management at the US Department of the Interior
- Paul Dunscomb, Professor & Department Chair at the University of Alaska Anchorage
- Lise Falskow, President & CEO at the Alaska World Affairs Council and Norwegian Honorary Consul for Alaska
- Anthony Gasbarro, Extension Forestry Specialist at the University of Alaska
- Jason Hodges, Executive Director at the Anchorage Concert Association
- Leila Kimbrell, State Director of the Office of US Senator Lisa Murkowski
- David Knapp, Head of Control at BP Exploration (Alaska) Inc.
- Sonia Laughland, Environmental & Regulatory Advisor at ExxonMobil
- Major Derek Loveland, Campaign Planner at Alaskan Command
- George Martinez, Special Assistant to the Mayor at the Municipality of Anchorage
- Danial Mitchell, Audit Managing Director at KPMG LLP
- John Moore, Senior Advisor, Public & Government Affairs at ExxonMobil
- Lt. Col. Tyler Moore, Homeland Defense Planner at Alaskan Command
- Stephen Nuss, Engineering Division Director at Anchorage Water & Wastewater Utility
- LCDR Patrick Prag, Cheif of Analysis at Alaskan Command
- Bear Remien, Lead Systems Architect at Resource Data, Inc.
- Meredyth Richards, Petroleum Engineer at BP
- William Templin, Cheif Fisheries Scienctist for Salmon at Alaska Department of Fish & Game
- Lyn Whitley, Retired Corporate Communications in Banking & Healthcare professional
- Richard Wilson, Retired Port Director at the Port of Anchorage
- Students wishing to participate should complete the online application, available here – https://goo.gl/QMvygN.
- Students will be expected to arrive at the ASD Education Center at 10:00am.
- Busing is available from all 8 Anchorage School District high schools.
- Lunch will be provided for participating students.
- Mentors are currently being invited. If you are interested in participating, please contact Deputy Director, Alyssa Bish at email@example.com. Space is limited.
- Mentors will be expected to arrive at the ASD Education Center by 10:45am and remain until 1:30pm.
- Lunch will be provided for participating mentors.
This event is made possible thanks to the generous support of: